Thursday 20 March 2014

why ask why? (i know that i know nothing)



Scio me nihil scire (I know that I know nothing)

Does anyone know anything at all?  Me?  You? 

I don't mean that we are all running about like clueless headless chooks.  Socrates didn't think that either.  So what does "scio me nihil scire" or "I know that I know nothing" mean?

It basically means that just when you think you know it all, you don't.  We are all taught, conditioned and led to believe the notion that once we have read the book, passed the test, experienced the experience that we KNOW it.  Let's take a moment to really think about that.  How many times have you felt like you knew it, like the penny finally dropped and you knew what you had done, where you were and what lay in the future for you? 




What about that time that you first encountered love and loss?  How did you feel?



Now what about the second time?
Did you feel the same?  Exactly the same?
Or did you learn something new? 


I'm guessing that like me every time you think you know it, you finally have the answer, "fate" (or life) throws you a curve ball just to prove that you don't in fact know it all.

For me, it comes when I make bold statements like "I loathe ALL humans", "I have lost so many close to me so I am an expert at grief" or "I have done 'X' and 'Y' is always the result".  I believe that I mean it (in that moment).  I feel confident and strong in my thoughts.  Then I eventually remember that thoughts (and feelings) are not facts.  What happens next is that someone will remind me of the cracks in these statements by igniting a flame in my heart.  Yes, feel love, closeness and warmth from others.  Normally I would label this as a weakness.  That label is disrespectful.  We all have things to learn from each other because we have all had an individual experience of life.  Our prejudices blind us from this sometimes.
And it is at this point that "I know that I know nothing" becomes relevant.  Confidence and belief in oneself is nice, sure, it is important even but what is more important is to remember that life is short and we can never know everything.  My mother always said that the day I discovered the word "why" formed who I am.  To this day, I question everything and everyone.  I ache to learn and to know.  I have a desperation to ask why, often.  I am always searching for answers and even when I find them, I am still asking why? if? what?  


What is your experience with this?

No comments: