Thursday 11 April 2013

all the single ladies...

I consider myself a strong single woman at 38 years of age.
It comes at a cost.
I lost the love of my life at 35 and adjusting to the "young widow" label was very confronting. And here we are in 2013, I wear my heart on my sleeve, I speak out regarding issues I am passionate about, I am honest and I might say things you do not like.

Labels are bullshit and are largely created for the sheeple of society.  You know the ones, they need to pigeon hole you so that they can then judge you.  What a load of crap! I've been labelled so many things in this life, some derogatory, defamatory, depersonalising & yes, even the odd revering comments have come my way from time to time. All of them meaningless unless you have faith in oneself.


Society has far too many expectations on the widow/ single women in their 30s.
It honestly is beyond a joke!
One either mopes around wearing a head to toe black costume OR is the career bitch without a care in the world for anyone but herself.  Both these extreme stereotypes I find offensive, by the way.

Apparently, I should have had children by now or have found new love.  I have neither. Nor do I crave them. I have found happiness in the chaos & I do not take for granted that I now can laugh every day. I have an opinion, a mind of my own. I have a voice and I will use it.  Take the opportunity that you have been granted with and run with it.

I didn't choose where I am but I do choose who I am.

By day, I am an Admin Manager, in a male dominated environment. I have to be strong & assertive. Some might say "a bitch", I'd rather call it an individualistic approach to a managerial position. By night, I am a hopeless romantic that enjoys the solace of silence with a glass of Margaret River red wine (thank you to my fabulous Nanna for introducing me to the finest wines in the country!).  My animals are the only creatures allowed to make noise in my home after 5, unless of course, I have a craving to pull out my vinyl.  TV is poison (Louis Theroux excluded).

I dream of a life with my rescue animals, my loved ones and my journal.  It is quiet and peaceful yet at times busy and full of madness. Life is for living. Stereotypes are for the uneducated.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fucking excellent and could not have put it better myself - PW20 x