Wednesday 21 August 2013

happiness is a warm gun...

Happiness is a warm gun.
First thoughts about this title.....

  • A Beatles song (Lennon)
  • A killer happy after a shooting
  • Contentment after doing something one shouldn't (be it drugs, sex, socially unacceptable behaviour)

It is true yeah, that after we do something we long for (that our parents and TV tell us we should not do), that we feel as sense of glee? Our our parents right or wrong? TV.... does it actually spread moral values? Are murderers ever actually content or happy after firing that fatal shot? (Ok, ok, I've just finished reading about serial killers!) Are we ever happy within contentment? Do we all want to break free of the "norm" and do our own thing? Was John Lennon on to something greater?

Often I crave the death of the 8-5 mundane lifestyle that many of my friends and I exist within. If I could shoot capitalism between the eyes, I think I would. Where is the contentment, reward and happiness within the rat race? Honestly, if YOU have it, I need to hear from you! Please share! I wonder, if I shot the capitalist society and we could all live an equal and content happy life, would I feel better? content? bored? Happiness is a warm gun.

Our guidance in life is via our parents and the television. Both constantly tell us that we are wrong and not good enough. What if we turned off other people's expectations and values and focused on what we want for our own lives? What if judgments fell on deaf ears? What if we created our own morals and values? What if the legal boundaries that exist within relationships, employment, medically defined health and public duty were more open to interpretation? What would they be? Who would benefit? Would you be happy (er)? Happiness is a warm gun.

Contentment (can be described as blissful arrogance or more commonly, satisfied with things as they are).
Is it accepting the 9-5 until retirement? Accepting a somewhat happy married life? Kids? Friendships? Drunken escapades? The mediocre? OR Living to excess? Living outside the square? Seeing all there is to see? Reading? Learning? OR is it something else?


If you could do whatever you wanted, what would it be?

Would it be political?

Would it be revolutionary?

Would it be personal?

Would it be over the top?

Would it be for you? Or for everyone?

Would it feel like happiness is a warm gun?

Does it make you feel good inside? You know... warm and fuzzy?




 For me, the warm gun feels like I shot down all the rules and walls of confinement and did something that would free me, my soul and my friends. 

No comments: