Wednesday 4 May 2016

first loves...

Apparently you never get over your first love.  However, I don't remember my first love as some big monumentus event that impacted my view of future relationships.  Looking back on it now, it was probably your typical teenage experience.  Yes, I was most likely excited about the prospect of having a boyfriend and of course I remember my first kiss.  Again, not mind blowing! ;)

Sure, I had a few boyfriends before I entered a long term relationship.  To be honest, they were jerks.  If I am totally honest, I was probably a jerk too! (Nobody is cool in their teens... Nobody!). Those early relationships taught me a lot about the influence of peers (or attempted influence).  I learnt that love can turn you into a paranoid psychopath.  Friends, books, movies and TV never warned me about that.  They taught me about myself, about who I am, what I expect and how obsessive I can become.  I learnt that love can break your heart in ways you could never imagine.  I am still learning about that. (Do we ever stop learning that?)

Today I am a bit jaded by the whole love-thang.  Maybe there has been too much devastation, betrayal and loss?  The idea of it (in a relationship context) is 'nice' and I am glad other people experience it as a positive but for me.... right now.... relationships = pain and I am not ready for more of that.  The love I get from my friends, family, animals and a few little people that I adore beyond words, they are enough to get me by.... well, not always but I accept the limitations.

Who was your first love?
Did it shape you?
Do you remember it fondly... or not?
How do you feel about it now?

No comments: